Thursday, June 19, 2008

Don't stay on the ground floor

I am staying in a motel room with three other adults and a one-year old.

I need my head examined.

Now I will grant you, this is not a simple motel room; it is a two bedroom suite at the Marriot Residence Inn.

Still, staying in a motel with a one-year old is stressful. We spent most of yesterday afternoon, evening and night trying to convince the people in the room above us that they could be a whole lot quieter in order for Liam to sleep/nap and to enable the rest of us to think.

What has happened to common courtesy? Or has it just become uncommon courtesy?

We talked to the desk clerk a number of times about the small children bouncing off the furniture upstairs. Finally we went up to the room and knocked on the door ourselves. The woman acted as though she had no idea what we were talking about and proceeded to tell us what absolute angels her children are. When we asked her if they could please try to be quieter, as we had a baby trying to sleep, she told us "No, we are tired of trying to be quiet and we are not going to try anymore." Even my attempt at Mom to Mom communication didn't work!

BTW, this was at 10:30 at night and none of her children were over six. Shouldn't they have been in bed in the first place?

The jumping children noises went on until about 11:30 p.m. when I lost my cool, marched down to the front desk and told the manager that if she didn't get them quiet, move them to another room or kick them out, my next call would be to the police.

Do the police do anything in situations like this? I don't know, but it seemed to finally do the trick. Granted I still only got about 4 hours of sleep, but at least it finally did get quiet.

Unbelievable!

Next chapter: I stop at the front desk the next morning and inquire if the people in 204 are checking out or could they be given a different room if they are staying. I was told they were checking out and that check out was at noon so they should be gone soon. At 1:30 this afternoon, with much crashing and thumping they finally left. Wow! I really wanted to step outside and wave to them as they drove away. We are staying until Sunday, bye-bye now.

With any luck, tonight we can all get a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's crummy! I hope it gets better ... but it sounds like it already has!