Friday, December 19, 2008

"String too short to use"

10) When you have a small boy around, 5:30 in the morning is about the only quiet you get. So here I am, blogging in the wee hours.

9) It snowed all day yesterday. We now have about a foot of the white stuff. It is beautiful, but driving is treacherous. I had to go out for a bit in the morning and HOLY COW! I was raised in snow country so I know how to drive when conditions are bad. Constant vigilance! I took the 4-wheel drive and did just fine. Almost got crushed by a semi who couldn’t stop when the light changed, but otherwise fine. I find other drivers to be irritating most of the time, but when the roads are bad I find them to be absolutely terrifying. From now on I’m only going if everyone else promises to stay home.

8) I spent yesterday afternoon baking. Cookies. Cookies. Cookies. It was fun, but my feet were sure tired at the end of it all. I still have to make peanut brittle. Learning how to make peanut brittle from my grandmother’s recipe has been my contribution to Christmas since she passed away. Makes me sad this year though, cause it was Dad’s favorite.

7) Christmas cards are in the mail. Enjoy the pic of Liam. We loved it, although I think it makes him look older than he is.

6) This is Umatilla School District’s third snow day this week. They have now used up all their extra days and any more they have to take will extend their year. It has been nice having Chris home most of this week, but I don’t want them to have to push out the end of the year. That would cut into our vacation plans. Grrr!

5) I have to drag out the wrapping paper for the last time again today. My final gift is complete and I can wrap up the late comers and be done! Usually I am finished long before now, but this year has not been ideal.

4) Liam is walking more and more each day. He loves to take a hand and walk with Chris or I all over the house. He will walk on his own, but he would rather take someone with him. Last night he took both of us. That was a first for us, and I think we were both a little choked up. It is the little things that get you.

3) I’ve begun work on “Ordinary Time” paraments. This is so much fun. I love to design and create when I am given free rein to do so. For those who don’t know: “Ordinary Time” is most of the church year, and it is green. I am very excited about these as well. My goal is that by the time the sanctuary remodel is done, the paraments will be ready. That means I’d best get hopping. The destruction starts the first of January and I believe it is scheduled to be complete by the end of the month. I’m going to really have to move.

2) I’m afraid my house is going to take precedence over everything else today. What a mess! I told Chris it looks like animals live here. Chris calls it “bears with furniture,” I call it “maximum density.” I can stand the clutter of things not getting to their proper homes for just so long, and then . . . maximum density is reached and I am done. That’s today.

1) I need to put some more current pics of Liam into the little photo album I carry in my purse. Unfortunately, it is full. I looked through it, thinking I could take some of the older ones out, but I find I can’t. There’s that sentimental nerve I’ve been looking for in myself all these years. I didn’t think I had one, but lo’ there it is.

0) I ordered our new windows this week. You will all be so proud of me: I opted for the bay window in the family room. It is terribly expensive, but I found I just couldn’t resist. Plus when we sell the place someday, it will be a good selling point. Right?

No comments: