Friday, July 23, 2010

A week alone?

CJE left last Saturday to go play in the mountains with horses and teenagers. He will be back tomorrow. I will have been home alone with Liam for eight days. I used to really look forward to spending a little time home alone. CJE has never been away much so it has always been a nice break for both of us when he is. The problem is . . . I am no longer alone.

I can’t spend the week staying up until two and getting up at 10.

I can’t eat popcorn for dinner and ice cream for breakfast.

I can’t soak in the tub surrounded by candles and soft music.

I can’t spread my scrapbooking junk all over the table and leave it for days.

I can’t go alone to the matinee of the latest chick flick and cry in the dark of the theater.

I really miss those days.

Instead I have spent the week being the sole caregiver for Liam. By week’s end I expect to be ready to be committed somewhere. I must say I don’t know how single parents do this without coming out the other end a complete basket case. I’m lucky if I can get through one week. I would never want to do this 24/7/365.

I thought about running away to a girl friend’s place in Idaho and then on to my Mom’s, but alas, I couldn’t work up the energy for the trip. Partly because I have work to do here, but frankly nothing that couldn’t have waited until next week. Mostly because taking Liam overnight quadruples my workload. We were at my mother-in-law’s place last weekend and I just didn’t have the strength to head out the door again.

When CJE gets back I am looking for someplace to go where someone will welcome me with open arms even if Liam is not with me. Someone who will let me sleep 12 hours a day every day for about a week and not expect too much in the way of coherent action, thought or speech. Either that or I’ll go lie on a beach somewhere where nobody knows my name and where if I hear the word “Mommy” I know it doesn’t mean me.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the little blighter. He is cute as a button and a very happy, funny little boy. We have more or less played the week away: drums, cars, swing, maracas, tricycle, bubbles, the pool, sidewalk chalk, balls, books, sandbox, movies, crayons, harmonica, walks, golf, you name it. I’ve tried to make it a good week for him because I know he doesn’t understand why Daddy is gone or that he will be back.

It’s turned out to be an OK week. Liam has missed his Daddy and has been extra clingy and demanding. It has not been easy, but the end is in sight. If we can just get through the next 24 hours, both of us will have survived.

Now, where is the nearest beach?

2 comments:

Doozyanner said...

You are such a good mama!!! Liam is an absolute delight, and I'm glad to have gotten to spend some time around him. You will survive this, and before you know it, Liam will be accompanying Chris to horse camp, and once again you can enjoy your solitude. (Thank you for inviting me to your Thursday sewing time! I enjoyed our conversation and got so much done.)

Unknown said...

Hang in there Janie your time will come. I got invaded last weekend by by daughter and my "2" grandsons who are 2 & 4 now. I was exhausted by the end of the morning and my nerves were in a mess. Just don't know how she does it 24/7. Her husband build log homes and is away for a week or more at a time. Your son has a great name. Have you seen the movie "Taken" with Liam Neeson. He is a very good actor and I have seen the movie many times. Have a great rest of the weekend. It is 105 here in NC today.